prior ambivalence towards the lost one prevents this from occurring
I was able to fight through the depths to kick and bray, stay a head above water.
that is all.
that is not quite enough
but it will do for today
In his 1917 essay “Mourning and Melancholia”, Freud drew a distinction between mourning, painful but an inevitable part of life, and “melancholia”, his term for pathological refusal of a mourner to “decathect” from the lost one.
Freud claimed that, in normal mourning, the ego was responsible for narcissistically detaching the libido from the lost one as a means of self-preservation, but that in “melancholia,” prior ambivalence towards the lost one prevents this from occurring.
Suicide, Freud hypothesized, could result in extreme cases, when unconscious feelings of conflict became directed against the mourner’s own ego.
- A psychic cost is a subset of social costs that specifically represent the costs of added stress or losses to quality of life;
- In Mark A. Runco and Ruth Richards’ book Eminent Creativity, Everyday Creativity, and Health, they argue that creative people face psychic costs when they are thinking up new ideas, because the mental process drains them emotionally, and because there is a social stigma associated with being different, and being an artist;
- When the military realized that soldiers faced such high psychic costs from killing people, they began developing strategies to encourage more soldiers to kill their targets;
- [as usual] the literature to this point has been inconclusive with regard to how one’s lifetime experiences of relatedness may be related to how much individuals value additional or new experiences of relatedness.
- Purportedly, when some people in a community own guns, it “imposes psychic costs on most other members of the community”.
- The anti-gun analyst claims“eighty-five percent of non-gun-owners report they would feel less safe if more people in their community acquired guns; only 8% would feel more safe.”
- This is purportedly because non gun-owners would worry about guns being used in the neighbourhood. MAKES NO SENSE> it’s the kid who’s had the police over 18 times or was it 29, who the police, in their usual efficacy, ignore, so he kills 17 people. That’s about as big a failure as why the school administrators didn’t have some sort of system for keeping a student suspended for violence off their fucking campus. DUH. And now the NRA will be the reason the gov’t takes our guns, puts us in camps, buries us in those Jesse Ventura FEMA caskets all over the heartland. WHY they are waiting is the question.
NOW, BACK TO THE PSYCHIC COSTS OF BEING A CONSUMER AND CONSUMING MORE THAN THE REST OF THE WORLD COMBINED EVERY DAY:
- Perceived psychic costs can cause customers to delay or forgo purchases that they are considering.
- Customers have many areas of perceived psychic costs in regards to making purchases. UM, LIKE POVERTY, OR CHOOSING BETWEEN FOOD, HOUSING, CLOTHES AND TRANSPO.
- for a guitar enthusiast or a model railroad hobbyist,
JUST HAD TO INCLUDE THAT RANDOM EXAMPLE OF NON-RELATED TYPES AND CATEGORIES. HERE’S THE WIKI-CONTEXT?
Some jobs pay poorly, such as beach resorts, guitar stores, model train stores, and small colleges, but they always have applicants, because the jobs provide a substantial psychic benefit to the applicants.
Slate writer Steven Landsburg argues that “psychic costs shouldn’t count because they’re too easy to exaggerate. Anyone can claim to have suffered $1 million worth of emotional distress, but we have no way of knowing which claims are simply fabricated.”
I really have come to hate the writers of Slate, but that’s for a far more personal reason that the dude started a rumor that Trump had off-ed me because at the time they were dogging me for a misquote, I was dealing with a criminal landlord, a psycho stalker and a massive refugee flight from any semblance normal life after LAPD tortured me and executed a nasty, traumatizing false arrest that will affect me for the rest of my life.
so fuck you steven landsburg i can measure my emotional distress and it’s about
$ 225, 000 and counting. You think the woman who couldn’t even show up for a restitution hearing Haydee or Heidi Darleen fat fuck Mana lard can pay me back for all the pain and suffering and actually monetary loss and nerve damage, and chronic pain and oh the effects of the heat from Ponce and Gomez, LAPD officers put on trial for making false police reports all over town (they were the ones who tortured me), the ‘arresting officer’ just did stupid things like say, if she, the fat fuck Haydee, identifies you, you’re going to jail.
That is July 2016. I was going to see my mother.
This June I am supposed to help my mother, who now can’t care for herself, move from the place she loved and had planned to die quietly in peace.
My uncle died while I was in jail for a false arrest.
This would be psychic cost, I would say to that Slate fuck.
I have anger management tomorrow so the judge can say, “I can make this all go away” with their requisite god-complex and low IQ. You’d have to be dumb to spend your life upholding the lie of the law.
Have a nice day.