From a blog I like:
George Orwell: 6 Questions/6 Rules
Time for another list or two I think – these are from the great stylist and thinker himself and are on his writing habits, or perhaps self-editing habits might be more accurate:
1. What am I trying to say?
2. What words will express it?
3. What image or idiom will make it clearer?
4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect
5. Could I have written it more shortly?
6. Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?
One can often be in doubt about the effect of a word or a